I’ve been working in Marketing for five years now. It’s fun. It’s challenging. It’s rewarding. Everyday is different. Along the way (so far), I’ve learned some things. Here they are.
- You’re not going to have all the answers (so don’t act like you do).
- It’s never simply about what you say: it’s how you say it.
- Busy is a choice. Stressed is a choice. Overworked is a choice.
- Say yes, and then you’ll figure it out afterwards (Thanks Tina Fey).
- Mistakes are healthy. If you’re making mistakes, you’re learning quicker. Don’t be afraid of them. Just try not to make the same one twice.
- No one outside of the industry really has any idea what marketing or advertising is.
- There’s always more to learn.
- Sometimes you have to rush (and you might do some great work while you’re at it).
- If you don’t know something, Google it. But be discerning.
- Make friends with your coworkers. Talk to them. Listen to them. I’ve probably learned the most from the amazing people I’ve been lucky enough to work with.
This list is nowhere near finished. I’m still learning, remember?
Whether you’re a seasoned marketing veteran or a newbie, what are some things you learned in your marketing career? Share in the comments below.